The book Atomic Habits by James Clear really changed my life. The tag line of the book is “tiny changes, remarkable results”. If you haven’t read it yet, I highly recommend it. One of my favorite life hacks from Atomic Habits is called habit stacking.
Habit stacking is when you stack a new behavior on a current habit you already do each day.
Here are the ways I used habit stacking to implement new habits
- After I have my morning coffee, I read, journal, and pray.
- After I read, journal, and pray, I put on my exercise clothes and work out.
- After my workout, I stretch and mentally prepare for the day ahead.
- After I wash my face and brush my teeth, I get out my workout clothes for the next morning.
- After I put my clothes out and decide on the next day’s workout, I put away my phone for the night.
- After I put away my phone for the night, I wear blue light glasses while watching tv.
Here is my challenge for you. Take a daily habit and stack a new habit on top. Start small but the key is to simply START.
Think about some habits you do each day without fail:
- Get out of bed
- Take a shower
- Take the kids to school
- End the workday
- Change out of work clothes
- Eat dinner
Implementing habit stacking will help you remove excuses, stop negative self-talk and useless negotiations with yourself and help you gain the results you desire. You’ve got this!
Check out this The Best of LKN Podcast, where Jeff the host, Diana, and I dive into our favorite parts of the Atomic Habits book.